Hypnotherapy has had a great success with people wishing to stop smoking.
Everyone knows how bad smoking can be on our health and a lot of people realise how difficult it is to give up smoking.
Many people will attempt to give up smoking on quite a few occasions using many different devices and/or medicines.
In a cigarette, we have:
- NICOTINE – This is the drug that causes the addiction. Nicotine is a stimulant, that the brain craves and loss off will cause headaches, anxiety and mood changes.
- TAR – Contains over 4000 chemicals, with over 50 of those being cancer carcinogens that get deposited in your system whilst having a cigarette.
- CARBON MONOXIDE – Effects the amount of oxygen your body absorbs, causing shortness of breath, lack of energy and poor circulation.
Some facts and figures:
- Roughly half of all smokers die prematurely due to smoking related illness.
- A smoker’s life expectancy is roughly 10 years less than a non-smoker.
- Approximately 100,000 people die each year in the UK from smoking related illnesses.
Quit smoking time line: From your last cigarette.
- 20 minutes – Your blood pressure and heart rate will return to normal.
- 12 hours – Carbon monoxide levels will drop back to normal.
- 24 hours – Your body will start to clear out the mucus built up in your lungs.
- 72 hours – Breathing will become easier and your energy levels will increase.
- 1 month -The appearance of your skin will start to improve.
- 3-9 months – Your lung function could improve by up to 10%.
- 1 year – Risk of suffering from a heart attack falls to about half of that of a smoker.
- 10 years – Risk of developing lung cancer falls to about half of that of a smoker.
- 15 years – Risk of suffering a heart attack falls to that of a non-smoker.
Hypnotherapy works the best when you really want to give up smoking, if you are giving up because you think you just should or you are being pressured by family/friends/work, you will not get the desired results.Hypnotherapy works by putting you in a deep, relaxed state where your mind is more open to suggestion. At this point your hypnotherapist will look to change your thought patterns by making suggestions such as ‘I do not want a cigarette’ or ‘I am repelled by the smell of cigarette smoke’. For many people, just one session is enough to quit smoking however some may benefit from a follow-up session.