- Just a small list of phobias or fears, people can suffer from:
- Spiders – Arachnophobia
Flying – aviatopophobia
Water – Hydrophobia
Heights – Acrophobia
Enclosed spaces – Claustrophobia
Open spaces – Agorophobia
Crowds – Demophobia
Darkness – Nyctophobia
Dentists – Odontophobia
Speaking in public – Glossophobia
Needles – Aichmophobia
Death or dying – Thanatophobia
Being sick – Emetophobia or Emetephobia (may also be known as phagophobia, vomitophobia, vomit phobia, sickness phobia)
Being judged or put on the spot – Social Phobia, or Scopophobia.
Urinating in front of others, shy bladder, paruresis, toilet anxiety or toilet phobia
Defecating (either alone, or in earshot of others), stools and losing bowel control – Coprophobia, or Corporophobia
- Anyone can have a phobia of anything!
- Often an event may have occurred in the past which may have triggered an inappropriate fear of something, e..g rats, flying, spiders, frogs, snakes, reptiles etc. or you may have learnt this behavior. For example, if your mother screamed each time she saw a dog- your subconscious mind learn that a dog is to be feared (even though you may consciously may not be aware of it) and thus you may develop an phobia of dogs. Imagine then hearing the occasional horror story about dogs- e.g. stories from the media about dogs attacking people. This as well as other things can often lead to your fears about dogs being reinforced- and thus can lead to a full blown phobia of dogs which can become problematic if not addressed.
- Phobia responses can sometimes be due to an experience/s from our past or are learnt behaviors that we learn from other people, media etc. that can often be reinforced over time. Some anxieties can be associated with certain fears or objects and can often lead to irrational phobias. such as phobias of shoes, buttons etc.!
- With social phobias, in most cases this is a result of a traumatic event/s from the past. e.g. being bullied at school or put down by others. In this case, the underlying issues and the initial sensitising events would need to be addressed and hypnotic regression may be an option.
- Phobias’s can get worse over time as they can be reinforced by our irrational beliefs about the fear as well as other situations we may come across in our lives. That’s why its important to seek help ASAP
- You won’t leave the sessions absolutely loving spiders, or flying, being around loads of people, or whatever your phobia is- but you will feel more comfortable being around your phobias and just doing the things you’ve always wanted to do.
- Hypnotherapy will give you a greater feeling of control, control your anxiety, improve your self-image.